Best Power Bank Review- Top 10 Power Banks in 2016
In this top 10 portable power bank review list, I am going to rinse up the best portable power bank cum mobile chargers available in 2016 along with in detailed analysis for each of them, revealing the pros and cons in depth so as to help you to choose the suitable most portable charger for your intimate tablet or be it your smartphone.
[Update: This list of battery packs is primarily containing models that are typically available in Indian and Asian Market. If you are looking for the external chargers in USA and European Markets, you might find this post about top best portable chargers more useful.]
Nowadays smartphones are getting loaded with too many features, they are becoming smarter by every single day too in terms of CPU clock speed, memory and display. But these are all making them extremely power hungry at the same time, which their in-built battery cells are incapable of mitigating. Thus power banks or portable chargers have gradually emerged as the only way to serve as an elegant solution.
But somehow if you are still not convinced that why you would be needing a power bank, this small piece of information would be useful for you. Here I have jotted down the in-built battery capacity of 5 popular smartphones of recent times.
As it is obvious, each of these smartphones, possibly among these, you may have one already, having high resolution display above 5 inch, that means they usually strain on the battery a lot and the average battery power of 2900 mAh can make your phones survive for maximum 3 to 4 hours, which is most of the time not sufficient for you. Thus possibly now you have convinced with the idea why power banks are useful and why they are so much popular!
Without wasting much time let’s jump into the round up list:
Here, I have decided to add up with a content list for ease your reading as the length of the post has become much lengthier than my initial intension.
- Mi 1600 Power Bank
- One Plus 10000 mAh Power Bank
- Honor 13000 mAh Power Bank
- Ambrane P-1500 15600 mAh Power Bank
- Asus Credit Card Sized 10050 mAh Power Bank
- Pny BE-740 10400 mAh Power Bank
- Lenovo PB410 5000 mAh Power Bank
- Adcom AP 02 20000 mAh Power Bank
- TP Link Pb10400 10400 mAh Power Bank
- Adata PT100 10000 mAh Power Bank
1. Mi 16000 mAh Power Bank
I was simply unable to choose any other power bank as the champion in this review chart for top ten power banks. Not because I am biased to Xiaomi, rather this stunning genuine aluminum cased portable power bank has undoubtedly turned up as the best deal coupling reliability, branding, price, portability and compactness will definitely make you choose this one as well. Did I miss anything? Believe me, this is the bestest best that you can ever have.
- Reliability: World Class Cheapest Protection with smart charging backed by Texax Instrument, as per what Xiaomi claims.
- Branding : Xiaomi being one of the most popular brands from China is often indicated as the Apple of China. And this particular battery pack from Mi with its look and feel has suppressed in great extent the frustrations of Apple lovers, whose reason of frustration was owing to Apple’s not being marketing a decent price of powerbank yet.
- Price: At a price of only 1399 INR this one is the best deal ever, where most of the simliar powerbanks with 10400 mAh capacity from other brands are stumbling upon to sell their power banks in such a low price.
- Portability: Having a length of 14 cm, you can easily shove this one into the back pack to carry it along with you with ease or even can carry it in your bare hand.
- Compactness: Superb protective casing, making it convenient to handle and use with the devices.
- Dual USB port: Not only Mi has incorporated dual USB in this power beast, that too with 5V 2.1 A ratings for both ports. But one little tips here, don’t think that this bank would provide you 4.2A (2.1 A*2) current rating when you would be using two ports simultaneously. It can deliver maximum of 3.6 A when used two ports at a time.
- Pass through charging: Apart from the output ports, one salient feature of this battery charger is what is known as pass through charging. With the virtue of this attribute, Mi 16000 mAh power bank is going to charge your smartphone even while getting self-charged.
- Battery cell: The only thing if you ask me, what I would have liked to change in this super portable charger is the type of battery cell, which being Li-ion, made the gadget bulkier (350 gms approx), which if could have been replaced with some Li-Polymer cell, could have given us a sleeker Mi 16000 mAh power bank.
Video review for Mi 16000 mAh model
Specifications of Xiaomi Mi 16000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
The allegation you can make now is whether I am going to skip to the second in this list without telling you exactly where from to buy the genuine 16000 mAh power bank that too without getting cheated and in low price. For that I have prepared this detailed post where I have mentioned very specifically where from to buy Mi (not only 16000 mAh, but also 10400 mAh and 5200 mAh) power banks. Anyway, you can go to eBAY right now by clicking following customized link, which I have made already for you if you are not in a mood to go through that.
2. OnePlus 10000 mAh Power Bank
Though one plus has not come up with so many variations unlike Mi and other popular power bank manufacturer, their single model was enough to secure the second spot easily just because of the look itself. You can keep faith on me, if you are willing to have a showy portable charger, this model is the one I am going to suggest you.
- Design: In design Oneplus has definitely beaten Mi, particularly when they have used the soft grippy material that you can find at the rear of one plus smartphones!
- Battery Cell: This stunning design of One plus 10000 mAh has been possible only because it has used Li-Poly within and not Li-ion thus providing sleeker shape.
- Dual USB: Dual USB has been one of the other greatest feature of this power bank charger in spite of having 10000 mAh capacity as its near competitor in range, Mi 10400 mAh features one output USB port.
- Lightweight: Usage of Li-polymer cell has not only made the model trimmer, it also become so lightweight that you can carry even in your pocket (if you are not wearing something extreme skinny of course).
- Price: You might be again trying to shout at me where from I would suggest you to buy the power bank, as the official site declares this one as out of stock! Don’t be upset Flipkart is there, but you have to pay 1799 INR whereas the listed price is 1299 (19$). This is extreme and monopoly of Flipkart, what else can I say, but they are the only guys selling this battery pack right now.
- Lack of torch: Now I have never found a good occasion yet to use flash of a portable charger. But if you consider flash lights to be an integral part of battery chargers, then One plus 10000 mAh would disappoint you.
Video review for OnePlus 10000 mAh Model
Specifications of One Plus 10000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
You might be again trying to shout at me where from I would suggest you to buy the power bank, as the official site declares this one as out of stock! Don’t be upset Ebay and Flipkart are there, but both are selling the imported One Plus powerbank right now, thus the price you have to pay are 1699 INR and 1799 INR respectively which are definitely much higher than the listed price (19$~1250 INR).
3. Honor 13000 mAh Power Bank
Third place winner in this top ten round up is Honor 13000 mAh portable charger which is basically supported by the Huawei. Actually Huawei has not launched any portable charger in India and instead they are marketing this Honor 13000 mAh power bank having so much similarity in terms of looks, features and price that PCadvisor, has claimed these two are basically same.
- Capacity: Among the range of 13000 mAh powerbanks, Honor is the first brand to come up with a model.
- Dual USB: This one also is combined with the Dual USB output ports with rating of 2A each, though it is not clear from the specification given out of the box that whether it is combined or per port rating.
- Brand: As we have already mentioned this powerbank is basically from Huawei and thus you can remain tension free about the quality.
- Charging Time: The input rating of the power bank being 2A at 5V, it can charge itself unbelievability fast, just by 4 hours and keeping the matter of capacity in mind this turns out to be a good score indeed.
- Pass Through Charging: Just like Mi portable chargers, this one also supports pass through charging.
- Portability: Honor has indulged the aspect of portability in a great extent by letting this one being a bulky power bank.
- Cell Type: Obviously Honor has not used in this portable charger Li-Poly and that’s being the culprit basically for the bulkiness.
- Price: According to me, the price (1399 INR) could have been a little lesser keeping the design aspect in mind.
Video review for for Honor 13000 mAh model
Specifications of Honor 13000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
This particular power bank has been made a Flipkart exclusive and is generally available at the price of 1399 INR. Though often they offer a discount of 100 INR, so if you are lucky you can take that advantage.
4. Ambrane P-1500 15600 mAh Power Bank
Ambrane is the brand having altogether 19 external battery packs of various range starting from 22000 mAh to 15600 mAh. But among all its numerous siblings, I have found this recently launched model the best. And hence it is occupying the number four in my list.
- Capacity: 15600 mAh is basically what has made this model a way out even among the other brands in the market. This being the second largest so far in our portable charger review list, just after Mi 16000 mAh, would be the best choice if for whatever reason you do not want to go for Mi but needing a bigger capacity portable charger.
- Digital Display: Now here you have got something fancy. This replaces the monotonous LED indicator, pervasive almost all the portable chargers even including the models we saw from Mi, OnePlus and Honor so far. With a cool, decent digital display showing the information about the residue charge in the battery pack this one stands out really in the crowd.
- High Density Charge: Being backed by high grade Li-ion, this external battery pack has high energy density in its cell giving better energy retention. Means, you can comfortably charge the battery pack and leave it for 2 weeks or more and still it would retain most of its power.
- Charging Time: Having a 5 V 1 A input power rating with a capacity like 15600 mAh has been the greatest downfall of this portable charger. It officially claims 14 to 16 hour time is required to have the full charge. Mind that even an overnight charging would become deficient.
- Output Rating: Definitely this one is featured with dual USB but the down side is the rating. One of the port being 2.1 A, but another as 1 A. This was unfair for a power bank of this much heavy capacity.
Video review for Ambrane P 1500 model
Specifications of Ambrane P 1500 15600 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Availability of Ambarne P-1500 is not as scarce as the power banks of Oneplus and Mi, but its listing price being 3599 INR is something too high.Though shopclues is providing it at 1419 INR, being lowest among all followed by infibeam who is selling it at 1490 INR.
5. Asus credit Card Size 10050 mAh Power Bank
Asus has turned in to the field of power bank market a little late but they ensured before entering the house that their portable charger would be as discussed as their smartphones are making buzz. Asus credit card size 10050 mAh power bank among its variations is the selected power bank here which comes in fifth position.
- Credit Card Size: Well, it will not be like a credit card exactly for sure but it is compact and that’s guaranteed. That is the boasting point of this power bank with having 10050 mAh Li-ion battery inside just 9 cm long casing, build to fit exact within your palm.
- Fast Charging: Guess what? When it is Asus, you are bound to get some surprises in terms of features. This one in our top ten charting for portable battery chargers comes with an input voltage rating of 2.4 A and that’s the BEST available in the market. But here is some twisting point, you would be losing it’s all fast self-charging ability if you are using a lower 2.1 A or 1 A wall charger. Use the wall charger with 2.4 A to get the best result.
- Feather Weight: 215 gms. Yes. Just like that. In spite of being constituted with Li-ion cells, its super light.
- Safety Feature: Again Asus has come up with some additional safety features like jeita protection, cell PTC protection alongside the standard six protections which are available mostly in all of the power banks.
- Single USB: You cannot expect everything from someone. Though this portable power bank has come up with several innovative features, its single USB port upset me in some extent.
- Lack of Wall charger: As common wall chargers generally comes with 1 A output rating, Asus should have included a wall charger having 2.4 A output rate or higher within the box. So, in order to get the full essence of the super-fast feature, you are required to buy the appropriate wall charger additionally.
- Though you could have thought this one should have secured a bit higher position in powerbanky’s top 10 portable cahrger review round up, but I feel this place suits Asus Zen portable battery charger comfortably.
Video review for Asus ZenPower model
Specifications of Asus Zen 10050 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Asus ZenPower is abundantly available in most of the e-commerce sites among which snapdeal is selling presently with the cheapest price of 1479 INR, followed by Flipkart where it could be bought at 1499 INR. The MRP of the power bank is 2499 INR.
6. PNY BE-740 10400 mAh Power Bank
PNY is the brand from Ney York, for those who might conflate PNY with some Chinese manufacturers. This is to clarify the brand image behind BE-740, the 10400 mAh variation among many variations marketed by them. So, from our count down list for portable charger, here we have number six.
- Branding: Definitely the PNY logo on the battery pack may bring some relieve to you if you are so safety conscious.
- Handy Design: This battery pack has a cool, cylindrical, handy casing. Especially for 10400 mAh capacity, nevertheless being backed by Li-ion battery cell due to using two 18650 type, in an effective manner.
- Fast Charging: Both i/p and o/p port of PNY BE 740 is rated with 2.1 A and hence it can charge itself (4 to 6 hours for full charge with 2 A wall charger) as well as the device connected superfast.
- Single USB: Yes, BE-740 comes with a single port but that can be excused if you prefer for a lesser bulky power bank, Though I have a question for you, considering the shape and size of the portable charger, if you were to design another USB output port, where you would have placed it? Got a quick idea? Scroll down and write it up in the comment section right now, I am waiting to give a quick reply to you as well.
Video review for PNY BE-740 model
Specifications of PNY BE-740 10400 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
At last amazon is selling something at the cheapest price. You can get PNY BE-740 at 1240 INR, which is the lowest price given in the market whereas the MRP of the powerbank being 2000 INR. Snapdeal is following amazon with its listed price of 1259 INR.
7. Lenovo PB 410 5000 mAh Power Bank
So far, we have all been busy with the so called high capacity portable chargers. What about the low capacity ones? Why they are kept so deprived in Powerbanky’s top ten list? Because we simply love to go for big ones, whatever be the pretext (No Pun is Intended here!). Definitely there are certain advantages against the higher capacity portable chargers, and the most important among them is making power bank handier, portable and lightweight. So in this listing, from the lower capacity battery pack segment, I thought to choose one model and be picked the best. So, in that way we get PB 410 from Lenovo backed with 5000 mAh.
- Sleek Stunning Look: This model from Lenovo can only be compared with the One Plus 10000 mAh power bank in terms of the look. The only reason one plus is in the top is because of its capacity which is just double of the Lenovo PB 410 while belonging to same price range.
- Dual USB: This feature of Lenovo PB 410 impressed me the most. Keeping in mind about the diverse nature of choice among the customers, Lenovo has come up with dual USB even with such small 5000 mAh capacity battery pack.
- Output rating: Though both of the ports are not 2.1 A rated, but one of them is for sure. Actually Lenovo has targeted this model to those customers who would go for a low capacity power bank, for any reason and possessing one decent smartphone along with a standard tablet. The 2.1 A port is basically dedicated to for the tablet. So, if you belong to this target audience, you should go for this one at once without thinking twice.
- Capacity: We know this is 5000 mAh but that is obviously a downfall in comparison to the others in this list.
- Low Input Rating: The i/p port of Lenovo PB 410 is only capable of drawing current at 1 A 5 V. Thus making this portable charger a slow charger.
Video review for Lenovo PB410 model
Specifications of Lenovo PB410 5000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Lenovo PB410 5000 mAh costs a little high, having the listed price of 2499. But you can get it from Snapdeal at 1189 INR being the cheapest for the time being. From other options Flipkart seemed to be next cheap at 1209 INR.
8. Adcom AP 02 20000 mAh Power Bank
Possibly you are still frowning at the brand name of this battery pack thinking whether it has the eligibility to get listed in Powerbanky’s top chart with other elites. But, believe me Adcom is one of the best ‘Made in India’ or ‘Make in India’ brands which proved its credibility in good extent (Did you know freedom 251 smartphone is originally supported by this ‘Make in India’ Star Adcom?). No friend, I am not promoting anything, but to say the truth, I had bought my first portable charger (No Kidding) from Adcom, a different model, which has three USB output port. Hence, I really have a firsthand experience with Adcom, you can say.
Among all the other portable chargers that Adcom offers, I picked Adcom AP 02, and here are the reasons why.
- 20000 mAh: Its simply huge. Don’t doubt whether this one has its real capacity as 20000 mAh or not, it really has that much power unlike those cheap, counterfeit models. Mi has lanched one 20000 mAh portable chargers at Malaysia in 2015, which you may find as a superior version of this model of course, but if you again compare the prices, Adcom charges you almost half than Mi.
- Make in India: Surely this external charger branded by ‘make it India’ company has been the key marketing strategy for such a huge capacity battery pack.
- Shape: being 20000 mAh obviously means that it would be bulkier, but this compact portable charger has all its Li-ion cells packed within a space so well what most 10400 power banks from competitor brands made a standard size.
- Digital Display: Another decent feature for this portable charger is its digital display unit which shows you the available power in the device. This becomes the second one with such feature in this Powerbanky’s top external battery list right after Ambrane.
- Dual USB: Dual USB is fine, that’s right but when Adcom had already come up with brilliant AP 3+ model power bank which in spite of being 10200 mAh, has the provision of three USB output port, the expectation that this one also would have three USB ports, is well justified.
- Current Ratings: One of the output ports and the input port is rated with 1A, that means you will require a good 15 hour continuous charge for this battery bank to get charged fully.
Video review for Adcom 20000 mAh model
Specifications of Adcom AP 02 20000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Adcom AP02 power bank is having the list price of 2000 INR, but Flipkart and Snapdeal are providing it at 1399 INR which is the lowest price in the market right now.
9. TP Link 10400 mAh Power Bank
We all know TP link being famous for our Wi-Fi routers, but this network switch brand had turned up with this unique rectangular parallelepiped shaped model of battery pack worth 10400 mAh capacity, giving you another fine choice among the best options here.
So let’s see what we have the ups and down side for this TP Link PB10400 Model, holding tight the ninth position in this round up of best power banks.
- Brand & Shape: So far the branding of TP Link has worked for this portable battery pack along with the unique design, owing tow which you can simply grab this portable charger within your palm comfortably.
- Dual USB: In spite of having compact design and a volume of just 88.8×44.3×44.3mm, this smart device has the capability to charge both smartphone and tablet of yours.
- Additional Pouch: TP Link provides a pouch along with the battery charger and that is a unique gesture appreciating that you would be caring about this helpful device.
- Fast Charging: Input power drawing ability of TP Link PB10400 is 2A, so you can restrain yourself from getting tensed about the time required for charging the portable charger.
- Low out-put rating: Though one of the out-put ports provide a 2A charging, other one is not able to provide power greater than 1A at 5V. Hence, with this external battery pack, you can get at most 3A at 5V current while simultaneous charging.
Video review for TP Link PB10400 model
Specifications of TP Link 10400 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Though the MRP of TP Link PB10400 is 2999 INR, Snapdeal and Infibeam are the cheapest in this case selling it at 1149 INR and 1177 INR leaving behind others.
10. Adata PT100 10000 mAh Power Bank
This Taiwan based memory storage giant has presented the cool PT100 portable charger model, mainly focusing the African and Indian Sub-Continent market. I have chosen this portable battery charger as the last boy in this listing. Though being last boy means it wasn’t good enough to secure higher position, but also means it managed to outrank all other myriads of brands and their battery chargers.
Hence let’s dig in what cool features this 10000 mAh battery pack offers.
- Handy Design: definitely graspable, easy to grab design of ADATA PT100 is one of the advantages in terms of the design.
- 4-Mode Flash Light: Flash light may not become useful all the time, but this innovative 4-mode LED flash feature, particularly when kept at the back side of this portable charger making it look similar to a smartphone, is truly the best feature you get. Though this has no connection with the main function of this external battery charger, I found it worth mentioning.
- Energy Saver: Though not an exclusive feature but the energy saving method, is claimed smarted even than other portable battery packs by the manufacturers.
- Fast Charging: Again PT100 can charge itself fast with its 2A input port, with appropriate, compatible wall charger.
- Output Charging: PT100 has two ports, one with 2A output capability another being 1A. I would have pushed it further up here in this powerbank round up for sure if Adata offered two high rated out-put port.
- Bulkier: Though handy, considering the capacity of 10000 mAh, it is a bit bulky. Just compare this with Asus Zen credit card sized model, which has the same capacity.
Video review for Adata PT100 model
Specifications of Adata PT100 10000 mAh Power Bank
Price & Purchase
Adata PT100 power bank though having its listed selling price of 2499 INR, Snapdeal and Paytm are selling it at low as 929 INR and 999 INR.
Hence, this was the end of the round up for review of top 10 available best external battery chargers. For a final word, be extremely scrupulous while selecting any power bank and if you feel lack of confidence, feel free to see this post on power bank buying guide, you would feel different when you end up reading this.